I have to tell you - I'm downright obsessed with the Biggest Loser TV show. My other-half just doesn't get it - but I'm religious about watching it and have caught every season since it came on. I don't really have a good explanation as to why it "moves" me so much. I've never been morbidly obese - but I have many friends that are - and I swear, nearly every person in America faces the same challenges those people do everyday. I love it.
It's interesting, because everyone has an opinion about the BL. (at least in my circle of friends). Some constantly ridicule the unbelievability of the show and how it's just not realistic for people to "go away" to some location for so many months and workout 6-8 hours a day. Well, of course not! The weight these people lose on a weekly basis is not meant to be the "standard" for people trying to lose weight, but in these severe cases of obsesity, it's just what they need for their reality check. These people need 100% focus and dedication to solving their problems with food and lack of exercise. I see that. Doesn't everyone understand that? (I guess not).
Anyway - my point is this... I swear, even though I've never even hit the 200-pound mark (perhaps I just never owned a scale at the point I may have hit 200 pounds)... I still find myself relating to these people. I hate hearing people say, "If you don't want to get fat, don't chose to eat the bad stuff".... yeah, the sure sounds simple... but it's not THAT easy. We all like to think that we'd know when to put down the cupcake or not order the nachos if we start creeping into obesity, but I seriously doubt these people were even remotely aware of what they were doing to themselves until someone showed them, told them their health risks, etc. America makes it so simple to make BAD choices when it comes to food. I live in NYC and it's rather convenient (and often very inexpensive) to buy carb-laden, processed, mystery foods. You think you're buying a cup of coffee, but it's really a "hot milkshake"... fast food is even-faster than ever & marketers are all over you to buy their products that are full of fat/sugar. (The vast-majority of health foods don't have those kinds of marketing budgets). **This topic will surely come up at a later date.
There was a woman on last night (Season 7 show) that made a comment that I absolutely could relate to - I think her name was Helen - and she stated that she and her daughter used to always say they were going to start their diets on "Monday" - but Monday would come and go. It wasn't until she was accepted on the show that her MONDAY came. I absolutely loved this - because it's true for SO many.
I really find that when I watch the show, morbidly obese or not, I'm motivated. I'm moved by these people. They inspire me to remember that eating is not meant to be a past-time. It's for nourishment only - and while some things are downright delicious and tempting, they need to be consumed in moderation. (DUH!) we all knew that right? Well, it's not something we remember, that's for sure. I sometimes wish this show was on every day of the week so I can feel that motivation and inspiration to follow through. The feeling of elation they show when they have their makeovers or when they lose just a few pounds is something we all need to be reminded of. No, we're not going to knock of 10-pounds in a week, (and occasionally they do), but - embracing ourselves for being human. THAT is the key.
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment